The rank of the APC in the Senate swelled Wednesday with the defection of 11 Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, senators to the All Progressives Congress, APC.
The Senators that defected to the All progressives Congress (APC) party in a letter sent to the Senate President are.
1. Senator Bukola Saraki-Kwara Central
2. Senator Umaru Dahiru-Sokoto South
3. Senator Magnus Ngei Abe -Rivers South-East
4. Senator Wilson Asinobi Ake-Rivers West
5. Sen. Bindawa Muhammed Jibrilla-Adamawa North
6. Sen. Mohammed Danjuma Goje-Gombe central
7. Sen. Aisha Jummai Alhassan-Taraba North
8. Sen. Mohammed Ali Ndume-Borno South
9. Senator Mohammed Shaba Lafiaji-Kwara North
10. Sen. Abdulahi Adamu-Nasarawa West
11. Senator Ibrahim Abdullahi Gobir-Sokoto East
The senators communicated their decision to decamp to the APC in a letter addressed to the Senate President, David Mark. There are reports that some more senators could decamp in the coming weeks.
The PDP still appears to have the majority in the Senate despite the defections, although official figures are yet to be announced.
The gale of defection had hit the House of Representatives last December when 37 PDP members of the chamber defected to the APC.
Five PDP governors had earlier moved to the opposition party on November 26.
The governors are Chibuike Amaechi (Rivers), Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto), Rabi’u Kwankwaso (Kano), Murtala Nyako (Adamawa) and Abdulfatah Ahmed (Kwara).
Mr. Saraki had told journalists at the weekend that more PDP senators would decamp upon resumption of the upper legislative chamber this week.